Friday, October 1, 2010

The National Aquarium in Baltimore


Our friends, Josh and Elizabeth came for a visit this past weekend so we got in a bonus field trip to the Aquarium!  I have only been to the Aquarium for a real visit one time since I left there as their Catered Events Coordinator in 2002.  Once you work in a place, the magic kind of wears off as you become aware of the "wizard behind the curtain."  However, I am happy to say, the magic is back!  Maybe it's the fact that I can now see it through my kid's eyes, which sheds new light on the amazing animals and exhibits.  It's also always fun to play tourist in your own town!  At the entrance they shot a photo of us that you can view here.
Hanging out by the bubble tubes with E.

It was not very busy so we really got the chance to check out all of the exhibits up close and personal.  My favorite animal, the octopus, was in rare form and I could have stayed there all day watching her!  (No photos allowed of that exhibit)
Using the new, and very cool interactive information screens.

Calypso, the one armed sea turtle
The girls were especially excited when they found "Nemo" in the coral reef exhibit.  I think we also spotted "Dori" in one of the other tanks.  

 
While we waited for the dolphin show, we got to see the new (new to me, anyway) exhibit on jelly fish.  I missed the jellies exhibit the first time it came to the Aquarium so it was nice to check them out.  They are so alien and beautiful!  






Outside of the dolphin amphitheater is a children's hands on area with a sandbox, puppet theater, animal dress up costumes, etc.  Kira made a b-line for the sand box, saying, "I'm going to get messy!"


Our next stop was the dolphin show where we sat in the "splash zone" and got totally wet! 
Finally, we went through the new Australia exhibit which, for all it's fanfare, is not my favorite.  But the building itself is amazing.  Definitely a good visit and thanks to Josh and Elizabeth for suggesting it! 

2 comments:

  1. When we were in Charlotte a few weeks ago, we went to a Port-Discovery-ish place called Discovery Zone. They had a small aquarium, and Connor was also immediately drawn to Nemo's tank. We learned that Dorie was in another tank, because in real life, they do not get along. How funny!

    ReplyDelete