Thursday, November 11, 2010

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum


All aboard!  The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum is another one of our favorite Baltimore attractions.  In addition to the Zoo, we also have a family membership at the B&O.  We took a trip there October 22nd and it is really an amazing place and an Historic Landmark.  The museum's ground is considered to be the "Birthplace of American Railroading."   It sits on the site where the first stone of the railroad was laid by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, who at that time was the last living survivor of the Declaration of Independence.

I have been told that I am related to Charles Carroll.  My paternal Grandfather's Grandmother was a Carroll and she was the great, great, great (I think that's how many) granddaughter of Charles himself.  This is very interesting because he is considered one of the founding fathers of Baltimore and that is where I ended up living... I think that also makes me a "DAR" (Daughters of the American Revolution.)   My kids too!  So it's funny to walk into this museum and the first exhibit you see is a bust of Charles that "speaks" to you about how laying the first stone of the railroad was the second best day of his life - after the signing if the Declaration of Independence.   I have tried to explain the significance of all of this to Z, but it seems she cares more about riding the trains - not that I blame her!

The building itself is an amazing, enormous roundhouse and inside is full of the largest and apparently, most important, collection of trains in America.  They are seriously cool and you can actually walk through some of them and touch wheels and levers and see what they looked like in their original state. 


After the attempt at a history lesson, the girls had fun playing on the train playground and riding the kids train.






 The place is gorgeous and certainly not lacking for photo ops.  Here are a few favorites:






And finally, meet Charles, my great, great, great, great, great, (great?) Grandfather!  Someday, I would really like to trace this history and really get proof.  









No comments:

Post a Comment